Owner Alexandra Asman qualified as a fashion designer in 1987. After working extensively in Johannesburg fashion industry & dressing Joburg’s finest, she relocated her studio to Nelspruit.
In 2008 Xela Fashion College was born and in 2012 they received the prestigious accreditation with City & Guilds… read more
“I don’t design clothes, I design dreams” – Ralph Lauren
Fashion Designing is the art of application of design and beauty to clothing & accessories. A career in fashion is both exciting and challenging while being ever changing… read more
Fashion is the career that you can determine what YOU want from it, from a stay at home mum to the catwalks of Milan!
Our online course consists of 10 modules that will take you on a journey where you will learn all the exciting and fun ways to design, make… read more
At Xela College of Design we offer Fashion Design & Interior Design qualifications at both our Nelspruit and Stellenbosch Campus’. We are City & Guilds accredited centers and our qualifications are both internationally recognised & issued… read more
“Design is not just what it looks like, design is how it works” – Steve Jobs
Interior design is a multi-faceted profession in which creative & technical solutions are applied within a structure. These solutions are functional, enhance the quality of life & culture of the occupants and are aesthetically attractive. In our 3 year full time… read more
Alex Asman and her staff at the Xela Fashion Studio, offer clients personal service and individually designed bridal gowns, evening dresses, men’s suits and all special occasion outfits. All our garments are bespoke tailor-made ensuring… read more
Xela Fashion College offers a 2 year full time diploma course in fashion design. Each Course commences in January of each year and enrolments open 6 months prior. All students are accepted on merit, passion and talent. Our college is situated in Nelspruit and classes are Monday to Friday mornings.
Designing is a fun career and the subjects which you will learn and master will be:
Pattern manipulation & grading
Accessories - making hats, fascinators, flowers and much more.
History of fashion
Business skills & Marketing
All subjects are taught by qualified lecturers who are young and fun. This is a course for all ages and genders.
We are a City & Guild accredited centre and offer internationally recognized and accredited Diplomas.
To be added to our mailing list and receive up to date information please email all your contact details to email@example.com
I would just like to say thank you to Alex and the team for teaching us not just the glamorous side of the fashion industry, but also the hard core of business and making fashion work for you!
Its 2 years of intense work that will take you a very long way through your life!
Thank you for everything!
At age 44 I decided to study Fashion Design. When I went for my interview I was afraid Alex would tell me that I was too old and "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"!
When I heard I had been accepted I was overjoyed! I live in Malelane and had to travel 65km to class in Nelspruit but it was worth it.
From the first day of college you learn something new - 50% designing, 25% about the industry and most importantly 25% about yourself.
I can honestly say today that my sewing skills, knowledge of pattern cutting, designing and my confidence wouldn't be on this next level if I hadn't taken on the challenge and grown so much through my time at the College.
(It really was a journey I'm glad I was on ,thanks for every thing you taught us )
Fashion is the career that you can determine what YOU want from it, from a stay at home mum to the catwalks of Milan! Fashion is something that interests us all. Everyone strives for ‘their look” to look their best.
Our online course consists with 10 modules that will take you on a journey where you will learn all the exciting and fun ways to design, make and complete all those ideas you have been dreaming about. Each module is purchased individually so you can budget for your studies. You have 6 months to complete each module, there by all 10 should not take you longer than 5 years. You are welcome to move as fast or as slow as your pace requires and you may watch each module as many times as needed for you to understand the work but remember that access will expire within 6 months. The modules consist of video tutorials and PDF downloads. On registering you will receive your equipment list of what is needed and at the start of each subject we will go through the equipment you will be using for that subject. The subjects that will be covered are FASHION ILLUSTRATION, TECHNICAL DRAWING, WOMANS PATTERN CUTTING, WOMANS GARMENT MANUFACTURE, ACCESSORIES, HISTORY OF FASHION, FABRIC RECOGNITION AND BUSINESS SKILLS. As the 4 first subjects are the most important we spend the first 3 modules exclusively on these to ensure a strong grounding before introducing the additional subject slowly over respective modules.
You are also able to purchase just single subjects in each module, this is for the individual who would like extra knowledge, such as learning to sew, make patterns or draw. Only the 4 grounding subjects FASHION ILLUSTRATION, TECHNICAL DRAWING, WOMANS PATTERN CUTTING, GARMENT MANUFACTURE are available as single subject TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE YOUR DREAMS YOUR REALITY.
Please take note of our terms and conditions.
If you are below the age of 25, you would need a minimum of grade 10 with maths literacy. Above 25, your life experience would be enough for you to enjoy this course. Pattern cutting is your most technical subject where basic maths is required.
Absolutely not! Fashion is ageless and as long as you have a passion for fashion and a desire to learn you are an ideal student.
On this course we go straight back to the beginning and teach you how to draw using a ruler. This makes drawing logical and with practise anyone can learn to do a beautiful illustration
All subjects in this course starts at the basic level, so no you do not need to know how to sew. Please do understand that you will have to sew. Any good designer knows their way around a sewing machine well.
In order to qualify for the City & Guilds accreditation, you will be required to complete and pass all 10 modules. You will then be able to apply to attend a 3 week assessment in house at our college. All the information you receive on this course is what is required should you wish to apply for an assessment.
Depending on the time you have to commit to your studies. Full time commitement to the course you should be able to complete in 24months. There is an allocated maximum time of 6 months per module. If you are not finished a module in the 6 months you will be required to re-register. This way the longest it should take you is 5 years.
Yes, you will have to re-register using your student number.
There is a once of discount of 30% from original amount for the repeat of a module.
In South Africa our major fashion centres in Cape Town and Durban. The knowledge you acquire on this course is international and recognised worldwide. In the later modules, we teach you about the marketing and the building tools needed to start your own business.
This means that finding work is entirely dependent on how determined and ambitious you are!
* Click on registration button on home page and follow instructions completing shipping and billing address.
* Once you have completed your registration, click ONLINE STORE on top right of page.
* Click on product you wish to purchase, ie full module or single subjects. Select item/s required.
* Follow instructions in shopping cart to check out.
* Once you have checked out, you will receive an invoice for payment and an order number. KINDLY USE YOUR ORDER NUMBER AS REFERENCE WHEN PAYING
* Email or fax through proof of payment and registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org or 0866354974
* On receipt of registration form & reflection of payment in bank account, you will receive notification that you may access the module/tutorials that you purchased.
* With your user name and password you will now have access to the items that you have paid for.
* You work at your own pace but have a maximum of 6 months access to module video tutorials and notes from date of registration, ie you have 6 months to complete each module. You are welcome to redo modules so long as it is in the 6 months.
* You may scan or courier your artwork & theory projects in required formats and send to either email@example.com or to the street address below.
* All projects that are a made garment or accessory are to be delivered to 49 Murray St, Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, South Africa via courier.
* All projects & garments will be returned to the student via courier at the students costs. Courier costs are to be paid by the student prior to projects being returned. Students are to inform Xela Design College in writing the address to which they wish to have their project returned.
* Xela Design College accepts no responsibility for additional costs that may occur should projects be travelling over the borders of South Africa.
* All reports will be emailed to the student.
* Once the lecturer has received your work and he/she is happy that you have achieved the required outcomes, he/she will send you notification that you may register for the module.
Please click here to view
This is an Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion studio & Design College provider programme. A provider programme is a unique programme designed to meet vocational needs in the market. This programme was designed by industry experts to meet current local and international standards. This programme is none credit bearing, however work produced by individuals attending this programme will enable them to compile a comprehensive portfolio of evidence representing the knowledge and skills gained during their time at Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion Studio & Design College. Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion Studio & Design College will issue a Diploma in Fashion Design to individuals who successfully completed the programme by meeting all assessment requirements as set out in the programme syllabus”
These logos remain the intellectual property of Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion Studio and Design College. This document is protected by copyright. It is intended for the recipient only. No part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any means without the publisher’s permission. Any unauthorised reproduction of this work will constitute a copyright infringement and render the doer liable under both civil and criminal law
The information, content, services, products and materials published on this web site, including without limitation, text, graphics and links are provided on an "as is" basis. Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion Studio & Design College and its subsidiary companies makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of this web site or the accuracy, correctness or completeness of the information, contents, materials, or products included on this site.
Without limiting the generality of the aforegoing:
1. Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion Studio & Design College and its subsidiary companies does not warrant that this web site, will be error free, or will meet any particular criteria of accuracy, completeness or reliability of information, performance or quality; and
2. Whilst Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion Studio & Design College and it’s subsidiary companies has taken reasonable measures to ensure the integrity of this web site and its contents, no warranty, whether express or implied, is given that any files, downloads or applications available via this web site are free of viruses, Trojans, bombs, time-locks or any other date or code which has the ability to corrupt or affect the operation of your system.
In no event shall Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion College, its subsidiary companies and its suppliers be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of or in any way connected with the use of this web site. Such limitation shall also apply with respect to damages resulting from the inability to use this web site, the operational failure of this web site, or for any information, data, products, and services obtained through this web site, or otherwise arising out of the use of this web site, whether based on contract, delict, strict liability or otherwise, even if Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion Studio & Design College and its subsidiary companies and/or any of its suppliers has been advised of the possibility of damages.
Although reasonable step have been taken to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the contents, data and information on this site, there may be instances where such information proves inaccurate or incomplete. Before placing any reliance on the data and information provided on this site please consult Alexandra Asman trading as Xela Fashion Studio & Design College and its subsidiary companies directly or approach your own professional advisors. You should take all reasonable steps to ensure and verify the accuracy of the contents, data and information obtained from this site.
Without limiting the generality of the aforegoing: This web site could include technical, typographical or other inaccuracies and you are urged to contact your own professional advisors to confirm all information contained on this web site prior to placing reliance thereon. Changes are periodically made to the information herein and these changes will be incorporated in new editions of this web site.
Please click here to download the Terms and Conditions
Please click here to register